By Ryan Hollist
Photos: Matthew Champagne
Model: Marie Segares
The August Cowl is a Mobius, worked in the round using double-ended Tunisian crochet – a perfect, simple project for tackling that skill if you haven’t tried it before. The differing colors and textures of the yarns used display the twists of the Mobius beautifully, and it is a great little project for some special yarn.
Size: One size fits most
Finished Size: 20″ circumference x 4″ height (51 cm x 10 cm) or as desired.
- [A] Galler Yarns Pashmina [100% superfine cashmere; 170yd/155 m per 50 g skein]; color: Yucca; 1 skein
- [B] Galler Yarns Belangor [100% French Angora Rabbit Hair; 33 yd/30 m per 10 g skein]; color: 885 Mink; 1 skein
- H/8 (5.00 mm) double-ended crochet hook (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 16 sts/16 rounds = 4″ in Trs
RetP (Return Pass): Turn, switch to back end of hook and B, *yo and draw through two lps on hook, rep from * until only 1 loop on hook, leave loop on back end of hook. Turn, switch to front end of hook and A for next FwdP. (RetP can be worked as needed to work lps off of hook.)
Trs (Tunisian reverse stitch): Insert hook from right to left behind vertical bar on the back of the of next st, yo and draw up lp, leave lp on hook.
- A is held double to match weight of B.
- The entire project is worked continuously in the round (without joining first and last sts of rnds).
- Each rnd consists of a forward pass (FwdP) and return pass (RetP). Each FwdP is worked with A and the front end of hook. Each RetP is worked with B and the back end of hook.
With A and front end of hook, ch 80 (or as needed for desired size). Inserting hook under back lp of beg ch, sl st in beg ch, leave lp on front end of hook as first st of Rnd 1.
Rnd 1: FwdP: * Insert hook under back lp of next ch, yo and draw up lp, leave lp on front end of hook, rep from * in each ch; RetP: for this rnd beg RetP with yo and draw through one lp, continue RetP as usual. â€“ 80 sts
Rnd 2: FwdP: * Insert hook under front lps of next ch, yo and draw up lp, leave lp on front end of hook, rep from * in each ch; RetP. â€“ 80 sts
Rnd 3: FwdP: Starting with first st of Rnd 1, * Trs in next st, rep from * in each st around; RetP.
Continue rep from * of Rnd 3 and working RetP as needed until cowl is desired size.
Fasten off B. Place lp of ending FwdP st on front end of hook, with A and inserting hook under back vertical lp of sts, sl st in each st around full edge of cowl, sl st in beg sl st of edging, fasten off A.
Finishing: Weave in ends using yarn needle.
About the Designer
Taking the steps to become a professional crochet designer was more an act of unemployed desperation than inspiration. None the less, taking the craft to this higher level has brought a tremendous sense of fulfillment to my intellectual love of geometry and spiritual desire for artistic creation along with finding an unexpected use of my education in writing and editing.
Pattern & images Â© Ryan Hollist. All rights reserved.