By Melissa Mall
Photos: Melissa Mall
Trick or Treat! Don’t worry, though, there’s no trick to this tote! It’s a perfect project for beginners because it’s made completely out of rectangles sewn together and would make a great alternative to a ‘starter’ scarf or potholder to practice your stitches.
The secret to the silly face is nothing more than felt and hot glue, so your little tote can go from plain to pumpkin in minutes!
Finished Measurements: 10.5″ x 7.5″ excluding handle
- Red Heart Super Saver [100% Acrylic; 364yd/333m per 7oz/198g skein]; 120 yds orange, 10 yds green
- H/8 (5.00mm size) hook
- Small amount black felt
- Hot glue gun
Gauge: 11sts/9 rows = 4″/10cm in hdc
Sides (make 2)
Row 1: With Orange, ch 32. Sk 2 ch, hdc across. (30 hdc) Turn.
Rows 2-16: Ch 2. Hdc across. (30 hdc) Turn.
Row 1: With green, ch 21. Sk 1 ch, sc across. (20 sc) Turn.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, sc across. (20 sc) Turn.
- Cut out desired features from felt.
- Glue them in desired positions to one of the sides.
- Lay two sides atop each other and sew them together on three sides. (Two short sides and one long side.) Be sure that face is on the outside.
- Sew short ends of handle to middle of open edge of sides.
- Weave in all ends.
About the Designer
Melissa Mall is an at-home mom with four sons eight and under. They have just completed yet another transcontinental move – hopefully it will be their last!!! You can keep up with their ordinary adventures over at her blog, or take a peek at her crochet patterns and tutorials at Inner Child Crochet.
Pattern & images © Melissa Mall. All rights reserved.